Thursday, December 2, 2010

Manners Mash-Up

Whoops, I forgot to post anything for three weeks. Naturally I have been very busy–those funny cat videos don't watch themselves, you know.

Also I went to the conference of the National Council of Teachers of English in Orlando. And I had a free day whilst there, so of course I visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, just to get a sense of what to do and what not to do when all of my own books are invariably turned into theme parks.



Thanks to my editor Donna for those pictures. I don't want to sound like a commercial, but I was pretty impressed with the aesthetic of the place. Unlike the rest of the Universal Studios Islands of Adventure (which featured, among other things, a theme park based on the books of Dr. Seuss, and a theme park based on Marvel Comics), the Potter section didn't feel like a theme park at all to me. You could tell that the philosophy there was that you ostensibly were in Hogwarts, or Hogsmeade. That it just happened to be Muggle Day or something. I liked that.

I also want to share my contribution to a new picture book titled Manners Mash-Up. This book also features Bob Shea, Sophie Blackall, Dan Santat, Henry Cole, and many others. Kirkus says it's "Good advice waggishly packaged and not completely tasteful—a winner."

I did the spread about table manners. Click to enlarge.

6 comments:

gm said...

Did you see these ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNRDGwitt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNqNfxo42J8

I like the feet on the table. Took me a few minutes to figure it out.

Adam Rex said...

Saw the cats and crows video, Gaelen. The first link is broken.

Phil said...

Fun! For the manners book, did you each write your own spread too or was there a single writer?

I really like the giant teeth on the boys.

Adam Rex said...

We each wrote our own, Phil.

gm said...

Oops, I lopped of an 's':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNRDGwitts

Karen (: said...

I think I almost died laughing about the funny cats video comment. The thing is that it's so true :)