Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Shortlisted for an Edgar!

Just learned today that Mac Barnett's The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers #1, which I had the honor of illustrating), has been shortisted for an Edgar Award in the juvenile category. Here are some of my previous posts about the book. So anyway, it's an excuse to post more images from this excellent book.

Here's my sketch for a tense scene in which Steve Brixton is hiding in his local library from a unit of special ops-types bent on his capture:

I actually took this sketch, blurred it, posterized it into a flat gray, and used that graytone in the final:

Finally, apropos of nothing, here's a cartoon I drew in high school. My old friend Grant just rediscovered this and emailed it to me. It may be obvious that I was working through sort of a Monty Python stage in my life at this point.

10 comments:

Lisa Yee said...

Congrats on the shorts. Tell Mac I said, "hey!"

RNS said...

Congratulations!

Kelly Polark said...

Congrats! My son and I just started reading The Case of the Case!

Jennifer said...

I just bought The Case for our library a few weeks ago and took it home to read before putting it on the shelf...I laughed hysterically all the way through! I absolutely loved the way you incorporated the familiar you-know-who images into your art. Hilarious!

Lunchbox said...

Thanks for the posterizing hint. Congrats on the Edgar, too. Hope you guys get it!

Núria Coe said...

Awesome! Congratulations!

The Mexican Anthem does have a sentence that talks about how the Earth will tremble at it's core with the sound of the cannons... "Y retiemble en sus centros la Tierra al sonoro rugir del cañón"... I wonder if the girl behind Grant exploded right after reciting that part.

Erin McGuire said...

Congrats! Also, I used to work at a library and I always thought the shelves would be a cool hiding spot, so this guy's onto something. :]

Donna said...

I heard the news! Well done and congrats!

Jaime Temairik said...

Awesome! Edgar has good taste.

Rose Green said...

Congratulations!

And--I have to just add that Smekday is one of my 9-year-old son's all-time favorite books. It was all the rest of us could do to pry it from his sleeping fingers and have a shot at reading it.