Sunday, November 16, 2008

Smeksbury

A while ago, while preparing material to put on the National Time Capsule Project site (aka The True Meaning of Smekday website), I sketched out this fake Doonesbury strip. The idea was that this was an installment of Doonesbury that actually appeared in newspapers at the time of the alien invasion that takes place in my book. I wrote to Gary Trudeau, asking for permission, never got a response, so I never inked this thing or posted it on the site. I forgot about it for a while. Then I remembered it after re-watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas recently.

So if Trudeau's people want to send me a cease-and-desist letter, now's the time. If I don't hear anything, maybe I'll ink it and put it on the Smekday site in time for the book's paperback release in May.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it.

Anonymous said...

For what its worth, The True Meaning of Smekday was my favorite book of last year and I tell every person I know to read it. I love all your picture books too, but Smek just makes me happy. My husband and I always wish each other a jolly Boovish Passover now, too!

Adam Rex said...

Thanks, guys. Sarah, that's a mighty nice Etsy shop you have.

And everyone should check out David's new photography blog.

Adam Rex said...

Hmm, that's not letting me link to Sarah's blog. It says I have no id number in the link, even though I do:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=37038

The Cog said...

...this made my day!

Mark Dominus said...

I am delighted. I'd like to see more Smekday crossovers. The Wonderful Wizard of Smek!

I read Smekday last month after I pulled it off the Penn Library's return shelf while waiting for the elevator.