Saturday, September 22, 2007

The 2008 Model T Ford

A recent article on The Onion's website got me wondering what it might look like if Ford reintroduced the Model T in a "new Beetle" sort of way. Or in the way they redesigned their own Mustang to make it both modern and reminiscient of its muscle car glory days. In other words, what would the Model T look like if it had never gone out of production, and had instead been updated year after year? Probably nothing like this:

Drawing mech and tech isn't really my strong suit. Anyone else out there have any ideas? If so, post it on your own blogs or whatever and link back here.

7 comments:

Mike Dutton said...

I've been wondering and hoping for a similar re-introduction of the 1956 Ford Pickup. That'd be awesome.... mainly because I want one, but I wouldn't know the first thing about working on old cars and trucks.

Adam's Dad said...

Very cool, Adam.

Derrick said...

Ford has actually reintroduced the model T. For their 100th anniversary Ford built 100 1914 model T's from scratch. I have worked on these but they are not the same quality as the originals. Sadly, put side by side the 1914 model t is a far better build quality than the 2003 1914 T.

Adam Rex said...

I hadn't heard about that, Derrick. Cool of them to make an effort, andyway, even if them modern versions don't hold up to the old ones.
I didn't menton in my original post that the main reason I had such an interest in this idea is that my Grandpa Rex had an original Model T when I was a kid. He sold it in the 80's, but it was still running fine at that point.

Marco said...

At Car Body Design we have just posted a design study by designer David Beasley about a possible 2008 Ford Model T riedition.
Thought you might be interested.

Adam Rex said...

That's really cool, Marco. I can see the family resemblance. Love the Mucha spokesmodel.
Of the three, I think I like the first best, though of course I'd want it in black.

Unknown said...

The model T looks wrong without spoked wheels. There are a couple of competing new spoked tire types coming close to the market, look up "tweel." And the split-pane windshield (do jeep windscreens still fold down? Was that the last holdout?)...

The side-mount spare is a car look that's been overdue for a revival. Cars these days are too symmetric!