Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Preliminary Magic

Thought I'd show a little process from one of the Magic card images below: Oona, Queen of the Fae.
I stared with a couple rough poses, but decided to send Wizards of the Coast something like the basically symmetrical, frontal view at the bottom. She's something of a goddess, so I thought the image should have sort of a religious icon look to it.

Anyway, Wizards didn't like it, so I started playing around with different poses...

...and we eventually settled on the image below.

8 comments:

c.g.young said...

Great,
I love seeing the pencils and the thought process that goes into one of your pieces. Always fun to see the evolution of an idea.
-c.g.young

Shawn Escott said...

There's a reason why you're one of the best! Beautiful drawings!

Marcelo Braga said...

Hey, Adam! Man, you're the best Discovery I made last year. I bought your book "Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich" from Amazon just for the cover and I was inpressed. I showed the book to some friends and since than you have a small legion of fans here in Brazil. That's it, your work is just amazing! By the way, I really liked the Skeleton you posted some days ago... Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Man, I love looking at roughs! They always have so much more action and emotion and power than final art. I will always prefer Glen Keane's rough animation and daVinci's sketches to their respective final products.

Thanks for sharing these Adam - they are Gorgeous!

-Aaron

Ricardo Betancourt said...

This kind of stuff is really great Adam,(and helpfull). I hope that there might be some more of these process post in the near future. Have a great one :)

Albert Sorrentino Jr. said...

these drawings are really beautiful!
I think a lot can be said and accomplished just through sketch and drawing alone. Some of my favorites from you!

Unknown said...

The final image is astounding! Do the wizards editors do a lot of directing?

Paulina Lombardo said...

Oh! I like your work, your are men very talent.