Friday, August 15, 2008

Amazon.com–eerily insightful, or really stupid?

Lately I've noticed that the Amazon page for my new book includes this claim:

To be clear, Amazon is willing to offer you a special deal if you buy them together. My funny rhyming kid's book about monsters and their problems, and Alan Moore's dense, dystopian graphic novel about doomsday anxiety and the nature of heroism.

This is hardly the first time Amazon has surprised me with the odd bit of non sequitur. They've always had a sort of free-associative, Dadaist organizational structure there. One might have expected that Frankenstein Takes the Cake would be "better together" with Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich, its companion book, but...the thing is, I LOVE Watchmen. I've probably read it twenty times. I've finally sort of gently bullied my wife into reading it, in anticipation of the upcoming movie. Is Amazon being absurdly random about their pairings...or are they looking deeply into the souls of each and every one of us? Does Frankenstein Takes the Cake and Watchmen share some unexpected connection, like the one people are always trying to tell you exists between Pink Floyd and The Wizard of OZ?

When the audiobook of Frankenstein and the DVD of Watchmen come out, I'm totally playing them at the same time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that Dave Gibbons illustrated both books, Adam. He did Watchmen after his "monster phase" in the early 80s. Hence the connection. You see?

Ted Dawson said...

I was just reading that DC comics is republishing the Watchmen with a 900,000 print run. 900,000! Not since the original Captain Marvel...

Anyways, I imagine they are doing everything they can to push the new edition. Tagging it alongside a bestselling book by Adam Rex is a shameful example of riding your coattails and you should get some payola from this. Or at least an autographed copy of the hardback edition.

BTW, our library in Greenville, SC, now has Smekday and I'm into the second chapter now. I know, I should have bought my own copy. I'm a destimulator of the economy.

Lunchbox said...

You could be paired with much, much worse. I would have completely GEEKED out over that. Of course, I'd geek out to find my book on Amazon period...

Unknown said...

Actually, that's a pretty good deal. If I didn't have both books already (and my copy of Watchmen IS autographed, oh yeah, baby) I'd totally go for it.

Jennah Watters said...

The audiobook is out!

Tamson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamson said...

You know when you are listening to an mp3 player on "shuffle" and it plays, say, a Bright Eyes song and then maybe an Elliott Smith cover of the Bright Eyes song "Thirteen," and you think, "Wow....How does it know?" I suspect this is the same kind of phenomenon. Randomness, by its very nature, doesn't seem random sometimes. Or...they could be looking into your brain, yes.