Friday, October 1, 2010

Ironically, an Airline Called Delta Can't Seem to Get Me to Greece.

I fly a lot, but this was new to me: after sitting out on the Tucson runway for about twenty minutes the pilot informed us that we were too heavy. I will admit to looking askance at the passenger next to me at this point. Given our weight, we could not legally take off in the current winds. Almost immediately I thought to myself, "Well. We'll probably have to return to the gate to dump excess fuel." But I know nothing about the actual mechanics of air travel, so even I didn't assume I had the answer.

Twenty minutes later, we returned to the gate to dump excess fuel. Apparently the Tucson airport only has one fuel truck or something (keep shootin' for the stars, Tucson!), because we then waited a half hour just for the crew to arrive.

Long story short, I'm supposed to be checking into my hotel in Athens right now, and meeting my wife. Instead I am enjoying lunch at an Atlanta airport-area mexican restaurant, which is every bit as good as it sounds.

Could be worse. I was originally rebooked on a flight that would've required I stay in Atlanta for TWO DAYS. Not that I don't like Atlanta. But, Zeus willing, I will be taking a circuitous Athens-by-way-of-Amsterdam-by-way-of-Minneapolis trip later this afternoon.

But enough of my whining, right? I'm still going to Greece, and you're probably not, currently. So here's a page from my sketchbook featuring a woodcutter and some patrons of the Surly Wench pub.

5 comments:

Zach Kline said...

Airplanes...can't live with em, can't live without em. Nice sketches! Been loving the boys read stuff as well.

Unknown said...

Cool sketches.

Tony McMillen said...

Judging by the back tattoo of the girl in the sketch I think you were drawing Rachel Ness a friend of mine. We were at Surly Wench for the Artphag thingamarama. Maybe you were too?

bestpi said...

haha, being from Tucson I can enlighten you a bit. Much has to do with the temperature. At 23 degrees F all air traffic is grounded because the air particles are spread so far apart that they fail to achieve lift and planes instead fall out of the sky.

Un undoubtedly this was the case, it was hotter than expected and they needed to loosen the load. Now, as for the fuel. Those trucks are designed to put fuel in not to take it out. So first they had to find a tanker that was empty, then remove the fuel. A process I am not familiar with myself but it can't be something normally done on the ground I suspect.

Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Having said that, I love the Rockwellish style of your art. I think it is marvelous.

bestpi said...

Sorry, that should have read 123 degrees.